According to the Vision Council of America, it is suggested that 64% of the US population wears eye glasses for vision correction. Depending on the seriousness and type of eye condition that they have, they can be used in a number of manners; some people use their glasses just for reading, or studying, some people to watch TV, drive, and some people wear their glasses all of the time. Some famous people who wear eye glasses include Elton John, Johnny Depp, Nicole Kidman and Courtney Cox, so if you also need to wear glasses, you are in good company.
What to Think about When Choosing your Eye Glasses
When you are told that you will need eye glasses, the idea of getting them can seem pretty daunting. It is, actually a lot easier than it seems, and as long as you don’t need anything particularly out of the ordinary, a pair of glasses can be ready in as little as a couple of hours.
The main thing to worry about when getting a pair of glasses is finding a pair that suits you and your style and feels comfortable to you.
When you go to choose your frames, go somewhere like Northside Eyecare if you are in Evansville, IN, where we offer a wide selection of different eye glass frames. You can try on all different styles until you find which you like best. Think about the style, color and weight of your eye glasses, but the length of the arms can usually be adjusted to fit your head, so if they feel tight or loose, don’t worry. Here at Northside Eyecare, we have an in-house lab, so once you find the style you want you won’t have to wait days or even weeks to start seeing better.
Depending on your prescription, there may be some glasses which don’t support your lens thickness. There may, however be solutions such as lens thinning services. You may also want to think about getting prescription sunglasses or contact lenses in the future. You may be offered different lens options, such as coatings for those who use the computer a lot, drive or need extra protection. There may also be options such as light responsive lenses, meaning that the lens changes with the light exposure, and eliminating the need for prescription sunglasses or contact lenses (to be worn with non-prescription sunglasses).
Helpful Tips on the Care of your Glasses
- Take them off with two hands – this avoids putting strain on one side of the glasses and potentially mis-shaping or even breaking them.
- Clean your glasses with a micro-fiber optical cleaning cloth as other materials such as clothing or tissues can damage the lens surface.
- Keep your glasses in their case when you’re not wearing them. This will reduce the risk of damage from scratching as well as them falling, being sat on or being exposed for long amounts of time to direct sunlight.
- Take off your glasses before you spray perfume or spritz as this will not only dirty the lenses, but also damage them.
- Buy a specialist cleaning spray or alcohol to give them a more intense clean.
So there you have it. Everything that you need to know about buying a great pair of eye glasses. You can always ask a Northside eye doctor if you have any questions. All of our staff wants to make you see, look and feel great.